Monday, October 1, 2012

Let's make candy!!!

 Day one of twenty....20....TWENTY DAYS OF FALL BREAK FOR CHASE.  Lord help me.  Seriously, help me.  I did enroll him in 2 camps to keep him somewhat occupied, but I'm still struggling with the fact that his school district has a 20 day fall break.  SO cray cray!! (that's for you Kristen :))  So day one included camp in the morning, a mother/son lunch date, and a trip to Hobby Lobby to pick out a new 'science project'.  Of course he chose the candy making kit!  I wasn't surprised in the least.
 The second we got home (I wasn't even in from the garage yet), the box was ripped open and every single thing that was inside the box was spread out on the table.  Chase begged me for an hour to help him make the candy (it's not a simple 5 minute project...let's put it that way) so I finally focused my attention on the candy making kit and we went to town.  I can't say I have ever made candy before...but it was a little discerning that I was putting sugar, corn syrup, food coloring, and citric acid into a saucepan and boiling it until it turned into 'candy'.  That just doesn't sound like something you should be putting into your body!  Anyhow, it turned out delish and tasted just like a jolly rancher (the kids chose the watermelon flavor).  I could definitely use some practice with the shapes and actually keeping the syrup in the molds, but hey, it was fun and the kids LOVED IT!

Yummmmmm, citric acid and corn syrup!!  Haha

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...